Friday, June 03, 2016

More Truckin'


Just as yesterday, a lack of other commitments for today meant that I could get back to a long term task.  Yesterday it was a woodcut.  Today it was a construction project.


A few days ago Mary told me that this would be a good day to continue this sink project, and like the woodblock, the lack of reported activity didn't mean it wasn't being worked on.  When I completed the cutting of all the 2x4's I realized I was going to be short one leg from my plan.  Since all my employment preparations had me driving back and forth through Neptune for weeks, on one trip when I was not far from the lumber source I dropped in and picked up one more 2x4.  Tried calling Mary, but she wasn't home, so I stashed it in my Studio.  Knowing that I'd be working on this today, while I was there yesterday working on my block drawing, I stuck the wood in my car.  All the tools I'd need were either in my backpack or already in my car.

Since the sawing, Mary had gotten someone to help her move the wood upstairs to her studio space, and since the last time I was there, she had the bed in that room removed, to make room for the new sink set up.  I brought in the new 2x4, and my various tools, plus my construction plan, and got to work.  Not a huge space to work in, but I'm used to tight spaces.  I have no photos from those days, but when I was building all the tables and shelves for the Studio, I had to work around many large pieces of furniture that Molly had given to her for her new home, but was not ready to move in yet.


One of the things I brought with me today was my right angle clamp.  A tool acquired for the purpose of assembling miter cut frames, it had also been useful making all those tables a few years ago.  Moved it from the Studio to my car a few weeks ago, figuring it would be helpful here as well.

The plan for today was to just start making it, an keep going until we ran out of time or it was finished.  I knew she had plans around 5 pm, so I wasn't expecting to finish it today.  Started with the main frame, which includes joists that will eventually support the sink.  It is also the thing everything else will attach to.   Then I assembled the four main corner legs.  The next step would be to start the assembly process for the whole structure, but there wouldn't be time to get that done today, so I organized the parts, straightened up, and packed my car.



I'll give her a call next week and we'll pick a day to have me come back and finish it.  I figure one more session should get it built.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home