Sunday, July 24, 2016

A Line on Art


The small prints I pulled a few days ago are for a project at the Belmar Arts Council called Art on a Line.  I made 6, but after looking at the results, decided two were good enough to put out there with my name on them.  I had been told they needed them by Wednesday, but I may have to work all day and all night that day.  Since the prints were dry by today, and the Boatworks has Sunday hours in summer, I decided to drop them off today, on my way to my Sunday job.  I had been told there were to be plastic bags to hold the artworks, but today I was told they had run out because so many things were dropped off.  (more will be coming soon)

These prints were my first time trying a new (for me) ink.  I had just about exhausted my supply of the Outlaw Black ink back in the spring, so I ordered a new can, but also decided to try the standard Gamblin brand of black relief ink.  A little less expensive, and not nearly as stiff as Huck's special formula.  Lacking a portable palette, I couldn't move to a more well lit room, so I worked in the half darkness of the Studio.  This Portland Intense Black is much thinner than the Outlaw ink.  Spread easily with my ink knife, rolled up on the brayer easily, and the good proofs are fine.  Some proofs are a bit smudged, but I think that has less to do with the ink and more to do with the difficulties of printing on small pieces of paper with no margins.  I could see using this lesser ink for students and classes, but I'll probably go Outlaw for my own personal work.  Below is a photo of one of the good proofs.



So today I took the two good proofs, stamped them with my chop mark, numbered and signed them, and brought them, to Belmar.  Left a few business cards as well, which will be packed in the bags with the prints when the time comes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home