Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Making a Selfie, Old School





Spent much of the day doing physical labor and errands, but in the late afternoon I was able to get up to the Studio to continue on the Selfies project.  Grabbled the watercolors I had at home, my newly printed fragment, and the board I had taped the main piece to, and got up there by around 3 pm.  First step was to tape the new fragment to the board in preparation for coloring.  Then I started coloring the first piece.  Just put a basic skin tone down for now, with a few bits of color blended in.  Went with red and blue for the colors on the cola can.  The design is not meant to evoke any particular brand, but just to represent a generic no-name brand of cola.  Red and blue seemed common enough colors.

Had a little more trouble with the second piece.  Not in deciding the colors, which are based on well established commercial logos, but in the process of coloring.  Though printed a few days ago, and that ink was dry to the touch, it started to dissolve into the watercolor.  (Speedball is really a poor quality ink)  Did a little touch up, and I can do more if needed after I put it all together, but this will probably be fine.  After all, I want it to read as distant background, and sit back behind the face and soda can.  The next step can wait for another day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home