Saturday, April 01, 2017

JAS 13 Opens





Tonight was the opening for the latest Juried Art Show at the Belmar Arts Council.  This is my 12th consecutive time as part of this show, being represented by my latest supermarket print,


This is the biggest BAC show of the year and always draws a large number of entries, as well as a large turnout for the reception.  There are 84 pieces in this year's show, and if most of the artists show up, and if most bring someone with them, you get the idea.  A lot of familiar faces, and a lot of new ones too.  Did spend a little time talking up my next woodcut class, which will begin in about a week and a half if enough people sign up.  Several of my past students were there today.


Also represented in this show are people I know from the critique group that meets in the Studio.  One of the award winners in today's show was Guido Guazzoni, who had been a regular in our group years ago.  He seemed happy to see me tonight.  Below is another piece I found very familiar.


I knew this work because the artist, Mary Gambarony, had brought it one of our critiques earlier this year.  She wasn't sure where to take it from what she had done.  The group consensus was that it seemed pretty complete, and so much of our discussion was over options for display.  It appears that she went along with our advice and kept it as it was.  Didn't win a prize, but did make the cut to be part of the show, so what we said couldn't have been too bad.  Would have been happy to talk to her about it again tonight, but I never saw her there.

No awards for me this year, but I've won at this thing a bunch of times, so maybe it's best if some other people get a chance.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home