Sunday, January 20, 2019

Rollin' and Tumblin'


I mentioned in yesterday's blog post that after my business at the Studio, I stopped at the store to pick up a few things before going home.  I was going to pick up some sandwich rolls, used the snack aisle to shortcut back to the registers and saw that one of the chips I like was on sale, and grabbed a bag, then up to pay.  But rolls and chips weren't all I got there.

As I was still in the parking lot, walking from my car to the entrance, I saw something odd.  Two girls, maybe high school age, coming from behind me and moving toward the store, but several feet to the right, so not close to bumping into me.  The first one gets past my position, then jumps to the pavement, rolling over, ending in a slightly reclining sitting position.  Her friend rushes up toward her and uses a cellphone to take a photo of her.   Got the feeling it was a posed photo.  Seemed an odd thing to do, but the precipitation hadn't come yet, so the girl wasn't wet.  No cars coming up that parking lot aisle, so no immediate danger.  I continued my way in, passing the produce and deli section on my way to the baked goods, picking up a few rolls. Made a right at the main back aisle as part of my path out.

The two girls were back again, same deal as before. The first one jumped to the floor, rolled over, and ended up in a sitting position, and smiled for the photo that her friend took.  (many years ago my friend Dave used a cheap film camera to take a picture of someone he knew doing something, and almost immediately a store employee rushed over to tell him that it was against store policy to take photographs inside; that it was forbidden made Dave feel it was the most valuable photo he ever took) Whatever this was, it was planned.  Maybe it's a thing, a meme, an image that is to be posted to the internet.  but when I see odd things in a supermarket, I never ask questions.  I'll come up my own interpretation if I need to.

But I probably don't need to.  What I have may be enough to develop another supermarket print.  I'll give it some thought.  No hurry here, as I have a few other things is progress right now,  and I can use some time to figure out what about this incident might make good art. But writing it down now means  I'll be able to remember all this when I might be ready to do such a print.  For now, it's notes in my sketchbook.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home