Wednesday, May 29, 2019

News From the Beach


A few weekends ago was the closing reception for the Kean faculty show at the Long Beach Island Foundation.  Fairly well attended, though many of those people may have been there as a result of the second show interspersed with the art, one from the local garden club.  (arrangements of plants and flowers, in pots) Our organizer was introduced by their director as the "chair", which was news to her as the school eliminated all chairs years ago.  Art went from being a school, to being a department, to being a program.  and we have no idea what would come next.  The faculty member who was called a  chair that day is one of two tenured faculty we have left, and functions as my supervisor.  A few days after that reception, she forwarded an article from a local news weekly on LBI called the Sandpaper (no, seriously) about the show.  Appeared to be scanned directly from paper, front page and some inside where it continued.  It was a write up of the show and reception, with just as much space devoted to the flower arrangements as the art.  I remember being interviewed and photographed by the reporter, but no mention of me, my work, or my photo in that article.

But today was part 2.  This time a link to an online version, which had an article that I wasn't mentioned in (but more about the flowers), but there was a photo of me next to my pieces.  and a link to more photos from the show.  My photo was there again, this time with a caption providing my name and the titles of the two works I had in the show. All correct, no small thing in the worlds of news or art.  Not a great photo of either me or the art, but I can count it as a publication credit and will do so at my next year end wrap up.  It's unfortunate that neither the print or online versions came out when the show was actually on the walls and people could go see it, but I've never seen an art gallery that did so little to let people know our show existed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home