Friday, May 17, 2019

Summer Classes


Back in my grad school days I had some summer classes, both as a student and a teacher. Since then rarely at the college level, which I attribute to the lack of willingness of colleges to pay people to teach classes.  I would think that at least some students might want to use part of their summer to deal with some graduation requirements.  As a grad student I took studio classes at both Montclair and Southern Illinois over summers.  Classes needed to be taken, I had nothing else I had to do, and it got me to graduation a little faster.  Colleges I have worked at since then have offered very little over summers.  I guess they have their reasons.

On the other hand, local art centers often have classes year round.  I have taught summer woodcut classes in Belmar a bunch of times and and scheduled to again this year.  It's on their calendar for July and August, pending people signing up for the class.  I have no control over that, but usually makes enrollment in these summer sessions, so I expect it will again.  As I was setting that up again a few weeks ago, the secretary mentioned that there might be a demand for painting and drawing classes.  They recently had a few sessions of an official Bob Ross style class and it repeatedly sold out.  Some thought it might be a good idea to strike while the iron is hot and get some more on the schedule.  I have no experience with landscape stuff, but it seems like they have that covered right now.  However, if they want to teach still life, color theory, basic drawing, value, perspective, etc, I've been doing that at the collegiate level for over 20 years, and can throw together a class in a few days.  So I e-mailed in a proposal a few weeks ago, with attached student art images relevant to the class.  My suggestion was 4 week classes, each at a different level, using materials available in local stores, which could be scheduled to fit demands.  Right now no one is teaching traditional painting or drawing there at all, so there's a vacuum to be filled.  A few weeks later I finally heard back from the director, who loved the idea of a painting class, and was presenting it to the trustees.  When I was there this past weekend for an opening, a few people mentioned to me that they heard I would be teaching a painting  class and were excited to take it.  I could be ready to go in a few weeks.  Only problem- a lack of willingness to do it.  They want to wait until the fall.  Not sure why- they often complain that money is needed, and classes cost nothing if they don't run and make money if they do, and they get a cut of that.  I have some theories as to this hesitation, but I'm not going to share those here at this time.  Woodcut is still on the schedule.

Meanwhile, I've been working on classes at another local place.  The Jersey Shore Arts Center has never hosted art classes as an organization, but it would make sense for them to do so.  They have a large facility, a nice website, a large mailing list, a number of resident artists, and very little competition right now.  And new people running things right now has then more open to the idea.  I've been discussing a woodcut class with them for a while now, and thanks to the recent print show, there is some interest out there.  I scheduled a meeting for this week, and it got pushed around a bit, but finally happened this afternoon.  Right now they are leaning toward a woodcut class similar to what I have done in Belmar- four weeks, I provide materials and teaching, they provide the space and the students.  They need to get past their theater and school commitments, but after that they have the space and think classes can lure in more people.  But in today's meeting, I also threw out the idea of a painting class, since they want a spread of options.  Plus more classes allows the fixed costs to be divided among more places.  And the director loved the idea, including running it starting this summer, at the same time (roughly) as the woodcut classes.  So I promised her a proposal in the next few days (I can use the one for Belmar, so not too difficult) once I get past all the grading stuff.  The lack of competition right now is a selling point, with both colleges and high schools dropping art classes, maybe they can pick up some slack.  When I know something more, I'll share it here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home