Saturday, September 07, 2019

More Ocean Grove Printmaking


Several days ago Nichole passed on to me something she had received- a request for some printmaking instruction.  The problem was that the woodcut class had just ended, and there was no plan to run it again anytime soon.  She had a name and contact information and that's it. At least that's a starting point.  The person wanted to know about woodcut and possibly to print on wooden handles to promote a business. I couldn't plan anything without knowing more, so I sent the guy an e-mail with a request for additional information. A day later I got a response- the business is beer production, and the idea was to produce wooden handles that could be used to promote it, but I didn't know if that meant handles that could be printed or just having printing on them.  Requested more information, and learned that the guy wanted to print onto the wooden handles and distribute them to promote the business.   And he was thinking about linoleum, which would make a lot more sense for printing something onto a hard irregular shape like a wooden tap handle.  Can it be done?  I think so, so I sent him that and told him I'd look into it.

Probably wouldn't work as a 4 day woodcut class, but probably could be taught as a one day workshop.  As it is, we had plans to host a one day linocut workshop in October, but the group that had requested it had backed out.  But I'm thinking that maybe somehow could be adapted.  Having multiple participants could mean less experience per participant and more money for me. The next step would be to bring the idea to Nichole and see what she thought. Was in class at the college all day yesterday, but I could try today.

Got up to Ocean Grove around 1 pm, but she wasn't in the office.  However, Bobby Duncan was and said she was at a big craft fair on the central green in town, running a booth to promote our building. I've been to these things before and they can be quite popular.  And it was a beautiful day- comfortable temperature, low humidity- a good day for a walk.  Probably not practical to try to discuss classes if I found her, but my leg could benefit from the walk, and I had nothing else going on today, so why not?

It was indeed a pleasant day for a walk and I wasn't the only person who thought so- the town was packed.  Sidewalks crowded, streets crowded, no parking on the streets.  But I kept walking.  I've been to a few of these things before- hundreds of booths set up, arts, crafts. food vendors. Lots of people getting in the way of walking around.  Checked it out from end to end and found no one I actually knew, which is unusual in an event like this.  So I walked back.  Found Nichole in the parking lot, unloading her car, so I helped her with that, and gave her an update on my idea.

Maybe late October.  We'll see.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home