Wednesday, September 04, 2019

Supermarket Fireworks part 9


Holiday over, grass not ready to cut today, so time to get back to work.

Brought music from home, and Molly wasn't in so nothing to stop me from listening to it.  Three things completed in different times and different parts of the world, but with something in common- all are considered to be varieties of "garage rock", a general term for music made by people with little training or experience, but with some appeal to the masses.  Started with a disc that included two albums that I had been sent by my friend Doug on cassette, but now burned onto disc.  The oldest was Casebook, by Dr. Feelgood, a band that was part of the "pub rock" movement, a variety of British R&B, that I guess was thought suitable for bands who play in bars. I get the impression this is a greatest hits kind of album, with many of the songs dating to the early part of their existence.  Good basic rock and roll.  Also on this disc is a more obscure record, Hit It or Quit It, which seems to have been the debut album from Girl Trouble, a band from the Pacific/Northwest, the band and the album pre-dating Nirvana by a few years.  No grunge here, just rootsy rock and roll, very much in the garage tradition. When that disc ended, I put on a home burned collection of songs from the Cynics, a band I was first exposed to at Montclair State.  Out of Pittsburgh, making music that sounded like it was out of the 60's.  Eventually, the two main guys started their own label that recorded and distributed similar music, with those two band members having their own phone extension, as I discovered calling to place an order once.  Also good music to work to.

I had been drawing on my latest supermarket block at home the past several days, rouging in the store shelves in the background.  Today I added some shopping carts, and refined a few things that were already there.  It looks a lot different than it did the last time I had a photo to show.


The shelves to the right (coolers, chairs, pails) combine memories and a few things sketched on location or from other sources.  The cakes in the bakery section (left side) are influenced by Wayne Thiebaud, except the sparkler cake which we actually had at a critique group.  The shopping carts are based on ones from other prints in the series.  The last major thing to add will be the floor tiles, and I will look to old ones in the series for ideas as to patterns of black and white.  As with the shopping carts, similar tile patterns become a way to link all the prints in the series; the inspiring stories happened in dozens of stores over several decades, in three different states, but I like to think of them as all happening at once in one crazy supermarket.

Late in the day I got an e-mail from Nicole telling me of someone who wanted to learn woodcut so he could make things to promote his beer business.  No class on the current schedule, so I just sent him an e-mail about the class in general and invited him to send more information, so I can figure out exactly what kind of class he's looking for.  Maybe we can make it happen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home