Tuesday, March 22, 2022

Windfall

 


I had mentioned about a week and a half ago I had an inquiry (on behalf of multiple potential customers) about purchasing one of the prints I have in the current show in Ocean Grove.  I sent a reply with what I have in stock, and prices in various conditions.  These things usually go nowhere, so I didn't give it much thought.  But then yesterday, just as I was about to head off to speech therapy, I got a phone call about it.  The person I had been in contact with (works there in the office) was interested in buying the finished unframed copy I had right now.  A sale is a sale, so I said fine, and if you want it in a hurry, it's hanging in my Studio, and gave her permission to go get it, as long as she didn't mind climbing up on top of the shelving unit to get it.  When I got to the therapist's office, I realized that the copy there was unsigned, so I called her back and said if she wanted that on it, I could come in the next day.  We set up a plan.

So today I went in at the planned time, armed with a pencil.  I had checked the other copies I had to make sure of the proper numbering system.  (I had an unframed copy in the basement #1/10, and I verified that the framed copy in the show was #2/10, so this one would be #3 and at the same time made sure of the chosen order of title, edition # , and signature I used in the first two, to make sure the new one would match up)  I was there a few minutes early, so hung out in my space.  I heard something going on and walked over to the office, but it was just Bobby eating lunch, so I hung out in the office while he ate.  My contact came in a few minutes past the chosen time, and had a protective carrier and an envelope full of cash for me.  I signed the piece with the proper title, edition number, and signature.  

She asked which boardwalk it was, and I explained that it was completely made up as a location, though very accurate to what boardwalks are like. She noted the Japanese connotation of the title, and I said that was intentional, bringing up the relationship between Floating World zones and Japanese art and woodcut history, and how it related to New Jersey boardwalks.  This one is for her sister, but she knew some other family members who might be interested.  I pointed out that it was part of a series, and most of the others could be found on the web.  So there may be more to follow.  

I am glad I decided to put this one in the show last month, as it got me a sale.  (see the image at the top of this post)  It's a good print, and has won at least one award that I can remember, but mostly it was chosen for this show because it was already in a frame, and hadn't been shown in that building before.  

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home