Wednesday, December 28, 2022

Another Day for Printing

 

Today was a lot like yesterday, except maybe a little warmer.  Not going to complain about that.  I had more work to do on my various prints, not cutting wood but printing it.  But first I had a few other things to take care of.  I stopped by the bank to investigate my last check from Ocean Grove.  Jeanne had said she mailed it out weeks ago, but I have received no mail from the building.  Whats more, she said the check had been cashed or deposited.  So I stopped by the bank on my way.  I had the check number and date with me.  Spoke to a teller, who told me that if it was just cashed, they had no record of that, but if it was deposited it would turn up.  No deposit for the amount given, so she checked my other deposits, and indeed found it as part of a large deposit. I know I didn't get it in the mail, but perhaps she just handed it to  me and I forgot about it.  Next stop was filling my gas tank, then up to the Studio.  Got there about quarter after 11.

After dropping off my stuff in the room and turning up the heat, I stopped by the office.  I let Jeanne know I had found the check, so she could stop looking for it.  Let Kaitlyn know that I had put my new padlock key on my JSAC chain, and she asked if I knew Molly's plans for the coming year.  No idea, except that Molly doesn't like committing to things, but I do know she likes having a studio.  She will have to be contacted.  Left Molly her card, then got to work.

The first proof of the third print, Love in Vain, was a good print, but in measuring it I found that it was an inch and a half too long. Is this a problem?  I don't know, but I want to send Tom all the possibilities.  So today I took a second proof, but I shortened it.  I didn't want to cut it (wouldn't match up with the lyrics I cut into the block), so I came up with a temporary measure involving tape.  For inking, I measured the correct length from one end (I decided that the left end of the train could be eliminated best), and put down some blue tape over that section on the right side.  Inked everything that was showing.  Next I pulled off all the tape, and put some fresh tape over the un-inked section and a piece of scrap paper, large enough for the print.  Printed the diminished block, re-inking as necessary, then I lifted the paper,  Finally, I put in a new border on the left side, first with a brayer to mark its location, then heavier ink with a piece of mat board. 


Unfortunately, a little carelessness on my part resulted in a little line of light ink in the margin.  Otherwise it's a better proof of the image, though I may have to cut a little more to fix it before proofing again.  Next time I'll use the proper size piece of paper.  The posting regarding this print show it better, if you want to see it.  I'll send both versions to Tom, let him decide what he wants to do. 

I also printed several more copies of my holiday card.  This went fairly fast.  I left the new version of the Robert Johnson print in my rack to dry, and took the cards home to color and fill out when they dry enough.


For music today, I went with Joe Jackson.  Not related to any of the prints, just felt like listening to it.  First I played the oldest album I had, Big World, which I wrote about back in October of 2019.  I burned my copy from vinyl (as it was released back then), a 3 sided record album that seemed designed for disc. (just about one hour)  I think of it as a cold war album, but probably at least half the songs are the relationship type stuff that make up most of his music.  When that ended I put in later album, Volume 4, which was done with his old band, that had appeared on the early records.  (I have one of those as well, but it's in storage now)  Sounds a lot like his older work. Came with a short second disc with live versions of songs from the first two albums, I think practice for the later record, but I never taped that one.  My description of this later album can be found at March of 2020.  

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home