Thursday, March 21, 2024

Blood Draw- Finished

 Took off from home about quarter after 10, made a couple of stops on the way, and ended up at the Studio  a little past 11:00.  The parking lot was full, which I assumed was for classes or something, but when I got inside the building I realized it was because they were hanging the incoming show.  Makes sense, as I think the opening reception is tomorrow.  Hanging was still in progress, so I'll look at it later. 

My plan for today was to make some minor changes to my Blood Draw block, and print it, hopefully producing the final version of the print.  The block was still not completely dry, but I didn't want to put off completion for another week, figuring I'd just clean up as I expected to do many times.  I had brought the rock/pop collection of discs today, and from that selected my home burned collection of Jayhawks, songs from the first two albums I think. What put me in mind of this was a song I heard on the radio on the way there, a song from another Americana/Alt-Country band- Uncle Tupelo. Actually I have an Uncle Tupelo album in storage, but not one that contained the song I heard today.  I wrote about this Jayhawks disc on this blog back in November 2019 if you want to know the details. 

The block, paper, ink, and printing tools were all up in my Studio, so all I had to bring with me today was cutting tools. I used some of those tools to make minor changes to the block.  I was even able to reuse the long pieces of painter's tape for the edges of the block.  Not wanting the paper to shift this time, I made sure there was plenty on ink on it, though it turned out that I still needed to re-ink here and there.  The paper didn't shift, I got a good proof of it (the paper is at a bit of an angle, so I won't make this part of the edition) and at this point I am satisfied.  I think I can declare this piece done.  The results from today can be seen below:

I don't have a particular plan for where to show this piece as of now.  It is designed to fit in one of the boardwalk frames, so when the time comes, framing it shouldn't be too difficult.   If there is another Tenants show in our building in the near future, I could be ready with three prints again, but no such exhibition has been mentioned yet.  I do want to pull a better proof, an edition worthy print, but I'm not worried about that right now.

I finished printing it before the disc finished, but then I had to clean in from my palate, my tools, and my hands, so I put on some music that felt compatible, Too Much Pork for Just one Fork by Southern Culture on the Skids, also written about in November of 2019, but in a different blog post.  

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home