Tuesday, June 18, 2024

Boardwalk Days part 21

 A lot of my time is spent waiting to talk to people, waiting for information, etc.  For example, I have a whole bunch of doctors, and finding anyone in their offices who can provide any kind of information is a struggle.  Art is not as bad, but getting information on a timely basis can be a challenge at times.  I'll get back to that.

Last night my YouTube feed brought me a podcast from Seattle about influential bands from the Northwest.  Seattle has been the home grounds of a lot of rock bands and artists, such as Jimi Hendrix and Heart, but from the 90's on they are probably best known as the home of Nirvana and the whole grunge scene.  I like that well enough and have some albums in my collection that verify this.  However, back in the 70's and 80's, the band that was influential on that scene was the Wipers, out of Portland, Oregon, a project of Greg Sage.  I started listening to them back when I was still at Montclair State, before Nirvana became known to anyone (I still remember the day when every disc jockey at our college station had played their big hit "Smells Like Teen Spirit" on every two hour radio show, as revealed in the songs played list we were required to keep when on the air) This podcast was mostly about how Nirvana's Kurt Cobain had made a list of his top 50 albums of all time, and the first three from the Wipers were on that list.  Never did have their third album, as it was not available anywhere I was around then, but I had reissues of the first two, and songs from those two albums ended up on the 20 song compilation I put together for the Texas trip, which ended up in my Studio, and as come home with me as much of my collection has been in storage these past few years, and that disc I have today.  Songs from all the albums I do have, at least those from the initial phase of their recording career.  So naturally I brought that disc with me to the Studio today.  Then as now, great music to work to.

I currently have two prints in progress, one from my Robert Johnson series, one from my boardwalk series.  The latter is far more drawn, but what both have in common is that I plan to make use of a model for both of the pieces, and picked one out that should do, but I haven't heard anything yet.  I don't know if this is the fault of the guy who's supposed to connect us up, or the model having just decided not to do it.  (this happens some times) As a result, work on these two pieces is more or less suspended until I find out what is going on.  I'm also waiting to hear about a possible interview for a tv show regarding local arts.  I replied to an email from Jeanne (our director at the studio building) about the possibility last week, but hadn't heard anything yet.  Once again, I didn't know if that because of her or the tv show producer.  

So this morning, I decided to do the one thing that was in my power- draw some more gulls from the print I had done featuring some, the "History of Art" piece hanging in the dining room where I live (image can be seen below) in my sketchbook.  

Brought that to the Studio today, along with my Wipers disc.

As is my custom, I stopped my the men's room there in the basement before starting work, so I wouldn't be interrupted later.  Only two paper towels there (and I used one of them), and I couldn't get into the ladies' room to see if there were any in there, which gave me an excuse to stop by the office and report this problem.  Told Jeanne about the situation so she got a roll to put in the empty room, and managed to unjam the other door (had towels at least). I asked her about the television thing.  She said at this point it was out of her hands, that she would be forwarding the names of interested persons to the guy in charge and let him decide what would be done, if anything.  This is pretty much what I expected would be happening, so with this I was pretty much where I was all along- waiting to hear from the organizer with no way to speed that up.

At least I could do a little work on my boardwalk block.  I decided to redraw the birds I had in the air, maybe above the beach, maybe above the boardwalk.  I made them a little smaller, but put each one where it had been before.  I also redrew the human figures already on the block, using my original sketchbook drawings as a source.  Finally, I added in the birds on the ground and one in the air, again, copied from the print I had on the wall.  I also spent time looking at the buildings I had drawn, and the fence along the boardwalk.  These may need more work, but no point in doing that until I have my source material in front of me, so that will have to wait.  Results of today's drawing can be seen below:

On my way out of the building I ran into Joe, my contact for that model from his figure group.  He wasn't sure if he contacted her yet or not, but promised he would do so today.  So I'll wait until next week before approach him again about that.  Meanwhile, if I hear from that model, I will try to make those arrangements myself.  


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home