Thursday, March 22, 2007

Time To Build A Box






Always have a lot to do when Thursday comes along, my one half day off during the week this semester. Dropped off my slide film for processing, should be back in about a week. Then up to the studio where I cut loose the copy of St Eustace I had painted and taped down the other copy for coloring.

But before getting to that, I decided to take care of a task that needs doing, building a box to ship a wedding present print and some other stuff. Not the St Budoc one from earlier this year, but one for Tom and Anne in St Louis. I couldn't make their wedding, but I did make them an anniversary saint print last summer, my first print in the new Studio. Getting a piece of paper safely across country can be done any number of ways, but I put together one of my custom boxes. Shown above are the steps- drawing the plan on a flat sheet of cardboard, cutting it out and scoring all the fold lines, reinforcing one side with a scrap of lauan (too damaged to use for a print), folding and gluing the box together with wood glue (the large C-clamps are just acting as weights), and then covering all the seams with paper tape (as it dries, it tightens and strengthens the box). I left it there to dry. Next time I cover the main seams again with clear plastic packaging tape. I'll try to get it out to him next week.

Saluki Update- Sad news folks. My Salukis couldn't quite pull off the upset over Kansas, losing by 3 points, despite me wearing my lucky hat (received that reunion weekend in NYC) while teaching.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home