Sunday, April 22, 2007

Another Week Without Drawing


I made a lightning stop in the Studio this afternoon, a drop off/pick up deal. Had another such stop mid-week. And that's the closest I came to making art this week. It was another 7 days of working my 3 jobs, cooking, cleaning, and preparing for my brother's temporary move in with me. About all I had time for was taking more notes for the next big project.

Sometimes I get an inspiration for a print, do a few sketches, get a block, and it's done. Sometimes it's a much longer process. Especially when it's a more complex concept. For example, my Birds and Seeds series (shown above) started with an inspiration in a sandwich shop on the strip in Carbondale in early 1995, took almost a year (with a move halfway across the country in between) to start making notes, and was only finished about another year after that. This latest idea has been in the notes stage for a few weeks. Jot down some ideas, do some free association and research, let it stew around in the brain a while. There is such a thing as overthinking it, but that point is still quite far away. Don't worry- I'll tell you all about it when time comes. One hold up is research. Source items/materials I'd like for reference do exist, but not around here, requiring an inconvenient trip at some point. So for now I'll keep adding to the notes and thinking about the thing I see in my head, so when it is time to sketch, the drawing will come quickly.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home