Saturday, April 14, 2007

Post-Easter Report

Sorry it's been so quiet around here lately, but the first week back to work after spring break kept me from getting anywhere near the Studio. Today was my first visit there in a week, and that was mostly to print a few more student woodcut blocks that were turned in yesterday. In between I've kept busy. Went to the monthly members meeting of the Belmar Arts Council. We're still putting the final list together for the Process Exposed show at the Print Council, with Sandra Murchison and Sean Caulfield joining the group. And teaching sometimes involves things outside the 14 hours I'm in the classroom. Besides the usual prep stuff, this week I took care of a recommendation letter for a student seeking a scholarship and was in contact with various models filling the schedule for my Figure Drawing class.

Took care of some Studio related stuff without actually going there. Molly called me with some less than happy news-- with our first year lease up, they're looking to raise our rent. Haven't heard the figure yet, but luckily it's expected to be only a small increment, still well within our budget. And I did get started on a new print project. While my students were busy with painting projects, I had a few minutes to consider upcoming prints. (The Studio is as much a state of mind as it is a place) Got an idea that seems promising, took some notes. Brought it along a little further in the Studio today. Once I was done with printing those few student blocks, I was able to devote a bit more attention to the idea. It's still too early to talk about it here, but part of my process was time spent looking at Bruegel's paintings of the Tower of Babel, a detail of which is shown above. This one is going to need a bit of time to develop in my head, so I may start a simpler project before this one reaches the drawing stage.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home