Monday, November 26, 2007

A History of Art part 61

After work I stopped at the Studio, to pick up some school stuff and maybe do a little work on the tower block. The problem with the latter was that I was missing the value breakdown I did on Saturday. (thought I had it with me, not the case) And the Bosch book I brought didn't have all his characters that I had put inside the prison. I cut the two who were in the book I had at hand, and decided to play around with one section of wall that I knew for sure was mid-tone shadows, the far left edge. Piranesi's originals are full of cross hatched lines to build values, and I could do something like that, but it would not fit well with the cutting style of the rest of the block. I tried the next best thing, a slightly rougher cutting of the shadowed blocks (did something like this with the Employee print to differentiate rough concrete blocks from finished cement), as if light was passing obliquely over the rough stone. I did a rubbing of this section, which you see side by side with block. Rubbings aren't exact, tend to pick up some stuff that the inked brayer won't, but it gives me a general idea where this is going. I will use color choices to carry most of the light/shadow idea, but the cutting style should reinforce the 3D effect, as well as give it a little of the feel of the original. Next time in the Studio I'll try to finish the rest of the prison and its occupants.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home