Saturday, November 24, 2007

A History Of Art part 60



Back into the Studio on another chilly day. I arrived in the early afternoon and found Molly hard at work on a new block, a commissioned piece. Before I could do any cutting of my own, I had to resolve the light and shadow issues of that prison. I sketched the basic architecture on a piece of paper, and used a marker to show the main lines. After looking at Piranesi's original prints, I settled on a light source, and noted which would be the lightest areas (left white). The darkest areas that will remain black on the block are blacked in with the marker accordingly, and the midtones are filled in with pencil. With that settled, I made some basic notations on the block drawing and began cutting. After a few hours Molly and I took a break to get some beer and pizza across the street to bring back in. (Molly has owed me a few drinks going back a while, and we were both a little hungry) That's my Sicilian slice in the foreground, with the remnants of Molly's slice (mostly consumed on the walk back to the Studio) and the beer debt paid. We discussed various Studio issues and plans while we split the 6 pack. I let the alcohol wear off a little before going back to work. I pretty much finished all the light areas today, stopping when the holiday festivities got rolling upstairs. Next time I'll deal with the medium shadows and the various figures within.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home