Sunday, October 12, 2008

Cardboard On Location




Still boxes today, but a change of location. I had stopped by the BAC yesterday on my way up to the Studio, and noticed that the late afternoon slot for gallery sitting was empty. This is for the Member's Salon show that's up through the end of October. I have a piece in the show, but hadn't taken any shifts yet. With no Giants game today, I figured it was a good time to take one. I know from experience that very few come to visit during gallery hours, so I brought something with me to work on, and right now that means a box.
The top photo shows where I left off yesterday, raising the height of the box from 14" to about 19", by joining the top flaps together in two corners and creating a new fold line. Today I brought one of those corners in by about 4" to bring the outer box closer to the dimensions of the inner. However, that left the box still twice as big as it needed to be. I could have cut away large sections, but I wanted to keep as much of the original box structure as possible, so I came up with a different plan. (Meanwhile, one group of 4 people came through the gallery for about 5 minutes, my total visitors for the day.) A few cuts along the bottom edge, a few extra creases, and I had an accordian fold. For now I folded the extra flaps back into the box. Most will stay, some may be trimmed before I actually glue and tape it together. The last photo shows it with the inner box inside, and the double flaps at the top. The end of my shift had arrived, so I packed up my stuff and went home.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home