Friday, June 12, 2009

Boardwalk Arcade part 2




Sometimes when I'm having a hard time figuring out the perspective on something I'm trying to draw, my solution is to make a 3D model of the thing to draw from. I wasn't satisfied with the roughed in pinball machines after the first day of block drawing- the upright scoreboard was fine, but the drawing of the sloping playing surface was not working. And another visit to an arcade wouldn't likely help, since I'm needing an overhead view from in front and behind, and that's just not possible. So the solution was to make my own little pinball machine. A cereal box was opened to make a single sheet and as much of the structure as could fit was drawn in. I cut, folded, taped and glued, added a little reinforcing, and I had my machine. Used it to get the angles and proportions right. Then I went to the upper part of the left side panel and drew in a specific classic arcade video game next to the shooting game, which was also refined. With the basic shapes done, I decided to put in a little time doing the details of the graphics on the various machines. May need a little tweaking later, but these things are pretty much done. The various figures that will be added may obscure a few things anyway, so no point in worrying about it until they are in there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home