Saturday, January 23, 2010

For Love Not Money part 8


Picked up where I left off a few days ago, playing with monotypes. I had saved the two orange colors I made last time, and mixed up some new blue, green, and brown. I had one concern- I noticed a crack in the 8"x10" glass plate that I had used for the last batch of monotypes. For the moment it was just in one corner, and I figured the masking tape around the edges would hold if I was careful, so I decided to see what I could do.


I started out this time doing all the colors for the whole design. I painted the sky colors first, lightly blotted it with newsprint to lighten the color, then added all the colors of the building, boards, and water. (see above) Made sure the plate was properly lined up over the cut part of the block, and used the pegs to register the paper. I started just using light hand pressure to rub the paper, checked the results, then used a wooden spoon to print any spots that I missed.

I did six proofs this way printing all five colors at once (top photo in above image), then decided to test the registration system by printing the building and ground areas into some of the sky-only prints from last time (bottom photo). Meanwhile that crack gradually crept further diagonally across the glass. I produced four proofs on sky prints, the last two with the glass completely cracked from corner to corner, only held together by the masking tape borders. I'll have to bring a new piece to the Studio- if not to make more monotypes, then to make another portable ink palette. Meanwhile I have ten proofs to work with, enough that I'm sure to get at least one successful final result. I'll let the ink dry a few days before before I attempt the next step, printing the key block over the color.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home