Saturday, January 30, 2010

More Postal Adventures


Tomorrow is the deadline for mailing out the first part of the For Love Not Money collaborative postcards, but since the post office is closed on Sundays, the deadline was effectively today. I picked a good copy of the card, addressed it, and stuck on a few stamps from my collection of no longer first class postage stamps. The result is more than needed, but I like the idea of the stamps being a couple of artists and an ocean going sailing ship- kind of sums up the whole project. I bundled up and walked it up to the Ocean Grove post office. Today's postal clerk again confirmed the cost of getting my mail to Mauritius (and seemed excited to be sending it to a place she had never sent mail before), and postmarked it. My part of this card is done.

Walked back to the Studio and decided to crank out a few more postcards. I had eight left of the sky-only cards, meaning I'd just have to print the other parts. I pulled out the saved color inks and decided I'd go as far as the supply would last me. My cracked glass plate was actually holding together better (and it didn't have to be moved once I set it on the block) and retained the stains of all the colors from the previous printing. I painted the four colors with brushes, placed on it a stencil (see above) to protect the sky areas from today's ink, and then added the paper and rubbed.

The process was repeated five more times, by which time I had completely exhausted the green ink, and was nearly out of orange and brown. But now I had six more cards ready for the last step. The relief print will be added next week, which will bring my total of extra cards to a dozen, plenty to spread around to adventurous collaborators.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home