Saturday, February 26, 2011

Boardwalk Showers part 14


Another busy Saturday. Today was the intake day for the next show at the Belmar Arts Council, an open show with the theme of Humor. Late last night while waiting to fall asleep I remembered that I had a framed print in storage that would be a good fit for the show- my piece Advertising in the Jerry Springer Belt. I keep it in a custom box (it has been shipped a few times) and when I took it out this morning I discovered that I never got around to fixing a mounting issue- the linen tape hinges had come unstuck from the backing board and the print slid a bit behind the window mat. Easily fixed, except that I couldn't find the roll of linen tape that I keep handy for such purposes. I suppose it will turn up eventually, but meanwhile I dug up an unopened box and put it to use. After some errands in town I drove up to the Boatworks and dropped it off. The show opens this coming Saturday, March 5th, with a reception from 3 to 5 pm.

Had a quick lunch sitting at my work table in the Studio, then got back to work. It's the time of year for student woodcuts, so my first task was to cut a 2' x 4' board into a bunch of 6" x 8" blocks. That includes sanding the sides to remove the worst of the splinters. Between the ones done today and leftover blocks from last year, I think I have enough for my spring classes. With that out of the way, I could get on with my own woodcut project.

Part of the time was spent continuing the drawing. Adjusting a line or two here and there, but mostly working a little more on those two showering figures. Based on various shower curtain observations, I made some slight modifications to the figures I had already drawn. (see above) The new vertical lines represent aspects of the rippled shower curtains and how that affects what is seen through them. This is not the final look, but a guide that will help me figure it out as I'm cutting.

However the majority of my time was spent cutting the block. I continued where I left off on the right side panel, finishing all the tiles on the wall and floor. All that's left on that side is the figures, the bench, and the details of the sign. I had enough time to do a little more, so I continued the floor tiles into the left side panel. I'll do all the background cutting before I begin any of the figures. The above photo shows its state as of the end of the day's cutting.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home