Thursday, July 07, 2011

Smoking Figure part 19


Got my Studio session in today, there for a few hours in the afternoon. However, that was only after some local morning research. Before doing anything more with the window in my image, I decided to collect some more observations. So after completing a local errand, I walked up and down Main Street, taking notes as to the effects of reflections of buildings, passing cars, and someone standing in front of the window, all in relation to window lettering and the values of items seen through it.

In some earlier versions of this block drawing I had put the reflection of my smoker in the window and I decided to bring it back again. The shape is based on a reflection of the model in the glossy enamel door she leaned against while posing. My morning observations revealed that exterior reflections don't show up against the lettering, so those will remain all white. The dark silhouette of the smoker will add a darker tone to whatever value shapes are seen through the window (unless those shapes are already black). I'll likely stick with the abstracted interior shapes that I had before, but I think that I may put a bit of reflected exterior architecture in the upper part. For now I put in a little bit adapted from a local business. Below is a quick rough ink sketch of how this all might look.

This sketch breaks things down into just 3 tones- white, light gray, and dark gray, but I would expect variations within each of those ranges in the final version. Next time I'll try drawing something similar on the block.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home