Thursday, July 11, 2013

Table Talk part 3




I made a few stops in the car (including buying assorted screws) and got myself up to the Studio by early afternoon.  I had started two of these leg corner samples yesterday.  Up above is what I call the square model, the 4"x 4" leg flush into the corner of the frame, with a couple of scrap right angle pieces screwed into the leg and adjacent frame to keep the leg in place.  Then I added a piece of 2"x 4" angled across the corner, with long screws into the frame and one into the leg itself, this being mostly to keep those first two angled supports in place.


The second type is the angled leg, the leg at a 45 degree angle to the rectangular frame.  The metal bracket is designed to hold 4"x 4" deck posts, so it should do fine here.  Holding it to the angled corner brace is a couple of 1/4" lag screws (a mystery to my cashier this morning, reduced to looking through a big binder of UPC codes and trying to figure out what these things were), which fix the leg very firmly to the frame.  The second one is actually a little faster to put together, though adding a few dollars to the cost of each corner.

And this is about as far as I can take this project until Molly comes to look over these samples and decides if she likes either solution or wants something else.  Then she has to order all the supplies, get tools, etc.  But I'll be ready to go.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home