Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Table Talk part 33



Molly had left me a message a night or two ago, asking me to change my plans a little bit.  Before she had asked me to concentrate on finishing any tasks that generated a lot of sawdust,  so we can get the room cleaned up before she starts pouring the surface resins.  But now she wants me to make sure that the frames are attached  to all the talbetops berore then, and we'll deal with the other stuff later.

So today I concentrated on putting tops with frames.  The frames were assembled and sanded weeks ago, leaving me just measuring for the drilling.  What I decided to do was to line up the frame on top of the table, pencil mark the frame's position relative to the four sides, and drill 8 pilot holes through the top in key spots. After that, I flipped it to have the top facing down, lined up the frame again (the drilled holes helped), marked it, put a fair amount of wood glue on the frame, then carefully lowered it into place on the back of the tabletop.  Clamps were added to hold it all tightly together as I flipped it again to faee up.  I drilled though the pilot holes into frame, then drove the deck screws in to hold it all together.  In the photo below, my two tables from today are shown resting on a couple of 4"x 4" beams that we did't need right away


I finished two tables in about 2 hours, then cleaned up and left in time to make a delivery on the way home.  I moved my two completed tables to the back of the room out of the way.  By tomorrow the glue will have dried and they'll be as stable as they ever will be.  I'll do the third one in this set on Thursday, back fill the recessed screw holes with wood filler, and turn them over to Molly to finish the tops.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home