Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Table Talk part 46



Getting close to that Saturday reception now, and still a bit of work to do.  Molly had told me on Monday that she would arrange to get the two largest tabletops (Boys and Girls Club) upstairs for Wednesday.  Don't know who did it, but they were up there when I arrived in the early afternoon.  She had someone else busy staining all the table legs and was busy cutting some newly acquired vintage photos for the JSAC tables, all while talking to her photographer.  That's right, Molly was getting ready for photo shoot celebrating this body of work.  Molly helped me bring two more tabletops (Park Place) up to the first floor, then went back downstairs to continue the collage process on the three JSAC tables.  Meanwhile, the photographer was busy setting up lights and equipment, and taking hundreds of test shots of the tables, to check light exposures.  (digital photography offers options that we didn't have in the film days)  After about an hour of all that they finally both started, and I think several dozen photos were shot in a variety of poses and angles.  (again, in this digital age, this did not take too long)  Above and below are just a few examples.  Then she ended the session so she could get back to work in the basement.




Meanwhile, I had some tables to finish.  Molly's last act before returning to her basement task was to help me put one of the Park Place tables up on a plastic folding table.  During the time when the photo shoot was being set up I had used a borrowed cart to bring 16 table legs upstairs, and in other trips got the doubled corner wedges, drill, lag screws, wood glue, and my ratchet set.  I was about halfway through attaching legs to the first table when Molly came back upstairs holding out her phone;  a local newspaper doing a phone interview with her wanted to talk to me as well.  So I answered a few questions and walked her phone back downstairs to where she was getting ready to pour the last three tables for this weekend.  I finished the first table upstairs, and then got a little first floor help to switch it for the other Park Place table.  When that was done I got some additional upstairs help to move the second one, and then to put both the Boys and Girls Club tables up on folding tables.  These needed the corner wedges glued in first, and then it was just like the first two.


Lots of people with connections to the dance classes were wandering through the lobby, but by that time no one who could help me move tables, and Molly was in the middle of pouring the freshly mixed resin, so I just left the last two tables up where I had built them, swept up, put away my tools, and went home.


Molly tells me the last three table surfaces should be stable enough to add legs by tomorrow afternoon, so as of now that is the plan.  I'll go in and if it looks good, we'll get them upstairs and I''ll go through all the steps to add legs to each.  I checked the inventory and we seem to have enough of every part to complete these last three in progress.  More materials will be needed to finish the last three tables in shop, still not carved, but that's a problem for next week.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home