Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Table Talk part 50



On my way up to purchase more materials for this project I could hear my cell phone ringing.  I managed to pull off the road and dig it out of my pocket before it stopped ringing.  It was my brother, letting me know about a little family get together later in the afternoon.  I continued to my destination, where I bought enough deck post ties and lag screws to make the last of the tables for the project.

Went right to the Studio to do a little work, but now with not that much time before I had to leave. I went with two quick tasks.  I wanted to see if my idea to improve the sliders on the drop leaf table would work, so I cut a few short lengths of some scrap molding, and glued it to the underside of the tabletop, tight by the path of the sliders.  Though the sliders do the job, pulling them out isn't easy, partly because there's not an easy way to grip the handles, and partly because the guide holes are not super snug, and the side to side movement allows it to get a little stuck.  The pieces of molding should force the sliding unit to stay in the correct line from end to end.  I did two, the top and bottom units in the above photo.  It did seem to help, but I need to rebuild one of the others, so I'll wait and do the other  guides after that.


While the glue was drying on the slider guides upstairs, I was down in the table shop making the last of the corner wedges.  Glued the corners cut yesterday into pairs, making two sets of four doubled corners.  As I finished each set I moved them to the side to continue drying, then put the table upstairs back where it had been standing.  After that I took off.  Next time, I'll glue those corners in place, finish assembling the leg units, and maybe even pre-drill the holes for leg attachment.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home