Wednesday, October 08, 2014

Supermarket Rubble part 3



Time to get back to work on the latest print.  I've done at least 5 or 6 sketches so far of this concept, but the perspective has been bothering me, so I decided a while ago that the next step would involve building a 3D model of my concept.  My first step today was to build a couple of toy cars- simple cut, fold, and glue models made from cracker and cereal boxes.  A large piece of scrap newsprint was lined to create a parking lot, and now I had something compact that I could draw.  Above, the model cars, below, the latest concept sketch.


Besides changing the angle and elevation a little, in this latest version the car and figure are shrunk a little bit to leave more room in the foreground, which will allow a larger brick pile.  Lots more things to work out, but I feel the space works better in this one than any previous sketch.

I stopped at this point because we had a visitor.  As we were cleaning up on Monday night after the critique group, Molly mentioned that she had heard from a printmaker possibly interested in sharing our space, someone new to the area.  I agreed we should follow up, then went home. It had been a very long day between school and the group, so after downloading the photos and updating my class blog and this blog, I was done on the computer.  The next day I had time to check the mail box from my main website and found an e-mail from a printmaker recently arrived in Ocean Grove looking to learn about printmaking in the area. In a town this small, this had to be the same person.  In a brief exchange after that she said she had a lot of free time at the moment, so when I arrived in the Studio today I called her and invited her to stop by.  And about an hour later she did, and ended up staying about a half hour.  Catherine is indeed a printmaker with Jersey roots, but living out of state out west for quite a while.  Her current east coast residence is temporary (she had to leave her press and most of her possessions back home) for an indeterminate time, but she'd like to get involved in printmaking, teaching, art, etc while she's here.  Molly arrived to do some work during this time and got to introduce herself as well.  Don't know what, if anything, will come of this, but it's always good to have another printmaker in the around.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home