Saturday, October 25, 2014

Working is Working



For the second time this month, my visit to the Studio was not about working on the latest print, but rather because of my college teaching career.  Once again my 2D and drawing classes have intersected in what they are doing, and during the week both did a graded charcoal drawing.  It has become my practice to start the grading process of still life drawings right there in the classroom, scoring a few aspects (out of 6 or 7 categories) while looking at both the drawing and the set up from the student's point of view.  Other aspects can be judged later.  For example, the accuracy of the shapes of objects I can judge later because all these things were brought from home and so I know what they look like.  And the combination of my big table and the chance not to bring all those dirty charcoal drawings into my apartment makes the Studio the ideal place to do this, so I completed the grading of two classes worth of drawings.  Next week the 2D class moves on to woodcut then color, while the drawing class will start ink wash then conte crayon, so this will be the last time this semester that both classes are dealing with the same process.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home