Saturday, November 22, 2014

Bd James Wraps Up



Several months ago I completed my latest saint print, Bd James Strepar.  The print is for my nephew (commonly known as Baby Jimmy), matching one done for his sister a few years ago.  Did the first proof, then colored a second one, and the plan was to print a few more and color them to match, but I guess I never got around to it.  Suddenly we're coming up on Jimmy's birthday, and I decided it would be a good time to finally present the family with a framed print.  I know that I colored two proofs, but the only one I could find was the second one, which was still taped to a drawing board.  No time to print a third copy and color it to act as a reference copy.  But one thing I could do was take some specific color notes, so when I am ready to color more I'll know exactly what to do.

So in the early afternoon I drove up to the Studio, using my new Belmar Train tote bag to carry the drawing board with the print, the frame that the print would go into, and my long straight edge ruler.  First task was to cut the print loose, trim the edges, and tape it to the backing board in the frame.  While that dried, I worked on matching the colors.  One thing I remembered was that not only did the map colors resemble those in an image of a 500 year old map, but I intentionally chose colors that related to ones available centuries ago.  This print had a relatively simple color scheme, so it didn't take long to match all the colors and label the sources.  Then I finished assembling the frame, gathered my stuff, and started working my way back south.  In the evening, Jimmy's parents were happy with the print, and it was hung on the wall.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home