Thursday, October 30, 2014

Small Sales



I spent days last week looking for my plastic model pick up truck and eventually found it, after I had given up for the day on trying to find it and started looking for something else.  I don't know that if I had remembered Daryl Zero's advice about looking for things sooner whether my search would have been shorter, but in the end the results were good.  Besides my truck, one of the things I found was a shoe box with all my mini prints.  These are small prints packaged with backing boards and inside comic book bags, priced low for purchase at arts and crafts type sales.  And over the years I've moved quite a few of them.

Still another week or so to go in the show of student work at the Belmar Arts Council, which will be followed by the annual WUF show.  That stands for Wearable Usable Functional, a collection of stuff suitable for holiday shopping.  I wasn't planning to participate, but suddenly I had this supply of inexpensive small prints.  My inventory includes a bunch of mini-saints, which are small versions of some of the more popular saint prints from that series, but those are essentially small fine art.  The truly WUF item would be some of my bookplates.  Don't know if there is much demand for such things in the age of e-books, but if not at this thing, where am I going to sell them?  My stock included one assortment set and several 4 packs of 4 different designs.  I confirmed a few days ago that I still had a block with four assorted designs, but no 4 packs of one of the more popular individual ones, so I decided to do some manufacturing today.

The design I was short of was one involving bees.  It had started out as a panel in my Fourth of July series (a warm fall day when the bees came out of cold weather hibernation and, not finding any flowers, were swarming all over a spilled soda), and was later reworked as a color image in my saint series (both regular and minis), and then as a bookplate.  For paper I use a nice laid resume paper, also found there in the Studio.  My can of Outlaw ink, designed for fine details, seemed ideal.  It didn't take long to print several of the bee plates, enough to make their own 4 pack, and they'll dry in plenty of time.  I won't worry about printing more of any of these until some of them sell.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home