Monday, September 14, 2015

Night Falling part 2



The deadline for that Dark of Night show is in a few days, and my decision as to whether to enter it or not comes down to what I can make by then and how I feel about it.  With that in mind, I stopped by the Studio for a little while to continue what I had started a few days ago.   Of the two images I pulled the other day, I decided the one of me dropping off my friend John had more potential than the rain storm, so I moved forward with that one.  The new proof is dry, but I only have the one for now, so rather than risk messing that up, I decided to try a color study on separate paper.  The first step was a quick pencil line sketch of the woodcut (above), and then I got out some watercolors and played around.


The actual background of the scene would be the brick wall of the Glove Factory, and I started with a more realistic color, but then shifted it to something more fiery or bloody.  (scary maybe?)  The print has a lot of black ink in it, so the darks would be darker.  This might work.  I brought it home to look at, and if I decide to proceed, I can color it late tomorrow or early Wednesday.

While I was there, I got a call from Molly.  After looking at our schedules, we decided it might be best to skip a critique this month, and just push it into early October.  The beginning of the school year can be a very busy time.  And I have nothing to show right now anyway.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home