Monday, October 12, 2015

The Critique Returns


September saw something that had never happened before- the decision to not hold a monthly meeting of the critique group.  Doing things on the first Monday of the month means we run into a lot of holidays, plus we had start of the semester stuff, and neither Molly or I could commit to a day, so we decided that rather than go deep into September, just skip a few weeks and go for early October.

Of course, Molly couldn't make the first Monday of October it turned out, but she was very excited that we had it scheduled this week and talked about all the people who were coming.  Still, I can't say that I'm surprised that she didn't make it.  I was there plenty early, taking advantage of my big work table to grade some drawings.  As the participants drifted in, I got updates she had texted them, all of which related to various disasters that would keep her away for the evening.  Like I said, no surprise and we had an plans made to cover the situation.


One of the plans for tonight was to discuss a collaborative project.  I vaguely remember this was brought up a few months ago, but I am fond of such things so I'm sure I would have supported doing it.  I mentioned it in my e-mail reminders, so some came prepared for that.  Above we were gathered around a large watercolor piece from Harriet, half finished with no plan, so something that could be up for grabs.  Below is an old mixed media piece from Christina, something she had abandoned years ago, though after we discussed it, she had some ideas.

Over the years I have done a lot of collaborative artworks, and brought before and after versions of one of the pieces from the international For Love Not Money show.  The idea that one artist could make copies of something to be exchanged and be contributed to by many intrigued some.  Old news to print makers.


Not everything was geared toward the collaborative project.  In the photo below, the two brightly colored pieces in the back are mixed media pieces from Edy, and the traditional looking watercolors are from Jane, who recently discovered she can do them and enjoys them.  Both were interested in group reactions so we gave them plenty to think about.


Other than the 5 year old postcard images, I had brought my color study for the recent Halloween show.  Not too exciting.  For those who made it, still a fun evening, and maybe we'll have more to report in November.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home