Thursday, March 10, 2016

A Lot of Things Happening



One of the things that happens with art is that sometimes whole bunches of things all seem to come at once.  That's why I don't worry when there's a slow period in my art career, because likely a busy season is going to pop up really soon.

Ended up with a bunch of good news the past few days.  First, I finally heard from my computer and camera consultant.  Back in January she guided me though updating my computer so I could once again do my various blogs (sure, this one, but also the one I do for the BAC, and more important, the ones I do for my classes), but the process wiped out my camera software.  I can still access photos I have in memory, but reviewing them is a bit trickier, and I can't upload or edit anything.  My entry for this year's Belmar show is one that was rejected from that show last year.  But it's a perfectly good print, it still had the proper title and was edited for submission.  Anyway, we tried to do a remote hook-up of our computers yesterday, but consistent with how computers have been treating me lately, she couldn't get it to happen.  So now plan B, I'll meet her up at school on Monday (her teaching day, currently my day off) with my lap top and camera, and hopefully we can resolve this digital impasse.

A few days ago I got an e-mail from an unfamiliar name, letting me know he had used one of my saint images on his blog site, in case I had a problem with it.  (He's not making money and I was credited, so I'm ok with it.)  It's a site devoted to "strange saints", citing a new one for each feast day, and he had covered St Frances of Rome that day.

Most of the images he puts on his blog are typical saint depictions, but it seems mine popped up early in a Google Image search of the saint and it's anything but typical.  It seems he really liked my approach.


This afternoon I was about to go out for a haircut when I got a call from my father passing on a message, from Kay Myers.  I remembered the name well- the organizer of the 1997 ART AND RELIGION exhibition in Philadelphia.  I ended up with two of my saints in the show at the Balch Institute for Ethnic Studies, and two more in the second half of the exhibition going on simultaneously at Villanova University.  Kay and her husband later came up to visit me in Wall and purchased a print.  So if she wants to talk, I listen.  My father said that it had something to do with a 20th anniversary exhibition related to that original show, and she was most interested in the St Augustine print.



When I got back from my errands I called her for the details.  Following the original exhibition she wrote poems related to all the artworks and artists, and was hoping to have it published, but found that books can be complicated.  So she's going for a digital deal.   The poems are all finished and posted, but she wants to get the images to accompany them, permissions, etc.  She did two poems about me, one about my St Augustine print (see above), and one about my whole Everyman series, both limericks as she felt the humor found in my work was suited to a light approach to poetry. Right this minute I can't provide an image of St Augustine (to her or this blog), but maybe by Monday I will be able to.  So in the end there won't be an exhibition credit, but I don't have to frame or ship anything either, she will probably link to my site, and there may be a small honorarium involved.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home