Thursday, August 18, 2016

Making a Selfie, Old School, part 2


Once again had some time in the afternoon, so I decided I may as well deal with the Selfie project.  Had nothing to do that I couldn't have done at home, but working at the big table in the Studio is much easier.  I  had spent enough time looking at the pieces that I was pretty sure the idea would work, but before I cut anything, I figured it wouldn't hurt to check.  So I took a piece of old copy paper (actually an old syllabus from drawing class) and traced the shape of the space to be filled- just to the left of my profile.  The high contrast black and white made this easy to do.  Used an x-acto knife to cut out the negative space, and placed it over the signs print.  Yes, that will do.



The space is an irregular shape, and none of the signs is completely visible, and there were a few pieces of other bits of the tower print now visible in the space.  The right most vertical line is actually a piece of tower architecture, but I figured it could pass for another sign pole.  A little sliver of the ESSO sign from the tower print is visible, but not enough for anyone to know what it is.  Was able to cover up some stuff along the bottom part (again, bits from the tower print) with some green watercolor, which could be tree tops or some other kind of plant life.  Touched up some other colors as well- metal glasses frames, skin tones, etc.  I think it's done now.  Results are below.


The show applications are due in early September, so I have time to make adjustments if I need to.  Right now my working title is "June 8, 1994, somewhere along I-64."  As I wrote yesterday, the soda can design is made up.  The two background signs are partly obscured, but anyone who has spent time on the highways of the south and midwest will recognize them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home