Monday, June 12, 2017

St Georgia part 8



Later this week my entry for the upcoming Bird themed show in Belmar is due, so I figured it would be good to get this print done.  One difference from last time is that I brought with me a bird identification book with lots of images of various pigeons and doves (biologically the same bird), plus my plan for the 2nd try.  As I said last week, I preferred the lighter version of the walls on the tower, so brought a color closer to that to the main church and apse walls.  And instead of the blue-gray that I put on all the birds last time, plumage that is more accurate to the birds.  Turns out that pigeons are one of the most common and widespread birds on earth, and thousands of years of breeding has resulted in a wide range of colors, and I tried to reflect these options this time around.

One effect of the lighter color on the walls is that the name of the saint is easier to read compared to the first experiment.  Not planned, but it works out.  Not as much color in the birds, but it's still a good balance, and the value balance also holds up.  And if you compare the above image to the one from last week, the quality of the black printed ink is much better, which is why the last proof was my initial practice/experiment copy.  Is this the final version?  I don't know, but it's good enough for submission to the show later this week, and the color choices may hold up to be the final version.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home