Thursday, May 30, 2019

Back to the Frame Shop


Got the good news that my piece was accepted for the bird themed show in Belmar, but with that is the knowledge that I have to make sure it's framed and ready.  The piece is part of my Everyman series, so I have plenty of frames the right size, and precut mats to go with them.  Had one such frame in my office, recently used for another piece, and went through my storage bin of small works until I dug up the proper size mat.  The print would be the first proof of St Georgia, which I had out recently to take a new photo for the entry, hoping to meet the odd combination of requirements they gave us.  Just after lunch I gathered it all up and hauled it up to the Studio, where I would have a nice table to work at.

If Nichole was around I would have talked to her about the class situation, but she had not mentioned this as a day she'd be in, so I was not surprised the office was locked up.  Answered a few questions for someone looking for someone in authority, then headed downstairs.  Molly was there, just finishing whatever she was doing, leaving me the place to myself.  Put on a cd of Billy Childish, and got to work.


When I needed a piece for the Humor show in Belmar earlier this year, I realized that what I chose would fit in one type of frame I had, my saint frames.  Just needed to cut a new mat and mount the whole thing.  Which is how I knew I had at least one proper saint mat available.   So the first step was bringing the framed Side Effects Profile piece to the Studio, and extracting the print and mat from the frame.  Had linen tape and scissors in my drawer, a screwdriver in my backpack. The piece was framed with a backing board and foam core, plus the window mat.  Old image out, place the new print and the proper mat on top to check spacing.  Linen tape is dry on the roll, lasts for years.  Had the two rolls I have for decades.  Water activates the adhesive. Simple and effective, but it does take a little time to dry.  Taped the new print in place, and used the drying time to convert the frame from horizontal to vertical, meaning moving the wire holders from the short sides to the long sides. In the end it was all done.



So now I have a framed copy of St Georgia ready to go.  Normally the intake days at Belmar are on Saturdays. but all the notices have said it will be on Sunday, perhaps what works for the organizer. I'll seek verification of that tomorrow, but meanwhile I'm ready.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home