Tuesday, July 26, 2022

Walkin Blues part 3


 Last night my new class supervisor confirmed that there was a plan in place for my August drawing class, something involving color and pencils (their choice, not mine).  Whether it will happen or not I don't know, as it's only a few weeks away, but it is on the website now, so we'll see.

I went up there today for two reasons.  Part was to confirm all this with the person in the office who actually handles the website, and partly to do some more drawing on my Robert Johnson block.  Dropped off my stuff in the Studio, took care of business in the office, then went back to my Studio.  Seemed like I should be listening to blues while working on this piece, so I brought the best blues disc I have, my edited last radio show at WIDB, which even has a Robert Johnson song on it, though the one that Tom had reserved for himself.  However, lots of good blues on there from many other artists, and some of it sounds like the kind of thing you'd hear in a room like the one seen in the image.  I couldn't find a write up of it on this blog, so here's the story.  Every station I was at had a cassette deck attached to the sound board.  Could be used to play a cassette tape, but I usually used it to record my own shows, one or two at each location.  Several years ago, at their request, I burned a two disc set of one of my WCWM shows, which was added to the Swem Library special collections.  My last ever show at my last school was also recorded.   Typical of the end of the semester, the equipment was in bad shape- the engineers all busy with final exams.  We had one turntable, one CD player, the cassette deck, a cart player, and a microphone.  No one showed up before my show, so I used the spare time to record the promotion I had made for my show, on a cart then, then used the cassette deck to record my last show.  I had to alternate between a record and a compact disc, which dictated what I would play.  I emphasized things I didn't own, since I wouldn't have access to that music again.  Despite these limitations, it was still a very good show.  If a record had a lot of skips in it, I would stop the tape and restart it afterwards.  As a result, I fit the whole thing on a 100 minute tape.  When I had a CD burner, I cut that 100 minute tape down to a 74 minute disc, and made a few copies.  I had one in the Studio, and not it's at home.

Today was not as hot as it had been, but still the room was kind of stuffy, so my session lasted as long as my 74 minute disc.  I spent that time making slight changes to 5 of the main figures, and added some silhouettes of four other figures to the deep background.  I envision these background figures will continue to be silhouettes, but I'm not sure if it will be these.  All are based on photos from that reference book I have, and all will be reversed in the printed version.  For now they hold a place, and maybe they will stay in the end.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home