Thursday, August 11, 2022

Walkin Blues part 4


 

Had some time today, and the weather was less brutal than it was the other day, so I decided to put in a little time on my latest project, the Robert Johnson adaptation.  I continued on the block I have been working on, as I haven't bought any new wood yet. Besides, a lot of work still needed there.  The building was pretty empty, almost had the place to myself.  Brought music from home, a disc I burned of the Gun Club- their whole first album, plus a bunch of tracks from a live performance from 1992, a disc I bought on a day trip to St Louis in my Carbondale days, and you can read about the whole thing back in 2019.  One thing I always liked about the Gun Club is that the lyrics are very direct, meaning the singer says what's on his mind, which reminds me a bit of Robert Johnson, and maybe the blues of Howling' Wolf.   So it kind of made sense for today.  

I decided it was time to check out some of my value ideas, so I was filling in some pencil blacks and grays in my composition.  I also made a few changes to the original figures, turning the head of the male figure at the far right, and moving the leg of the guy sitting at the table in the middle, so he's starting to make a step toward the walking woman, the same direction that he is facing.  I also fixed the ellipses of the recessed lighting in the ceiling, but these may get moved around a bit anyway, so it wasn't important.  Also added a footrest to the structure on the right, but I don't know if this is permanent.  I put in some value in the previously drawn silhouette figures, and added a few more, again from my photo reference book.  I will look at the photo above in the coming days, and see if I like these changes.  If I do, they will become part of the piece.  If not, I will try something else, but this piece has a bit more pencil work it needs anyway.  I do have ideas for some of the blank areas, but I'll draw those in later, or just cut them into the block if I am certain how I want to go.  But what you see above is where I am at now, and today's changes look like an improvement to me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home