Thursday, August 25, 2022

Walkin Blues part 6

 

Back to the Studio this morning, to take care of class stuff, and work more on the Robert Johnson project. The latter was partly because the deadline will arrive in a few months, and partly because I saw it referenced in an email I got last night from my former student Amy, finally answering a mail I sent her last February.  I don't mind the delay, as in some ways I am just as busy as always.  But she assumed positive things and that I was already done with the project.  Not at all, but I was almost done with one block drawing, so today seemed a good day to resolve what was left.  

Didn't bother to turn on the light in my space when I dropped off my bag, and went to the office.  Elyse was in, so I asked her if she had received the email I had sent her regarding Mary and her plan to donate stuff to the JSAC related to prints.  She hadn't seen it yet, but found it and planned to read it after she found out about the graffiti.  Also heard about a torn screen on my window.  Didn't know anything about these, so we took a walk and I opened up my space.  Sure enough, there were three large figures spray painted on my right end window, the same one that was pried open as part of the break in to my space back in May of 2020.  And the screen was torn so they could do so.  The window itself was fine, so I guess they weren't interested in breaking in.  (Maybe word got around last time that we had nothing worth stealing.)  At first Elyse didn't realize what was on the window, but I recognized it instantly as the number "666" as it would look from outside- years of woodcut have made me quick at reading and writing backwards letters and numbers.  She heard there was more outside as well, so I lead her to the nearest door out of the building (the ramp in the loading area) and we went out there and saw more of the blue paint on the bricks, but I couldn't make out what it was supposed to be.   She had work to do, and so did I.  

For music I had brought my home burned disc of Morphine, which I have written about back in December of 2019 on this blog.  No reason- just felt like listening to it.  Pulled out my current block.  Amy's email had caused me to look at the photo of the most recent version a bit, so I knew what I wanted to do.  I made a few modifications to some figures, redrew the recessed lights to what I decided were more logical places, and started drawing in light and shadows on the brick walls.  Also scribbled in some dark on the ceiling where I expect it will be, though I will probably handle the texture in a way that resembles what I did with the ceiling in my Vesuvio print a few years ago.  Below is what it looks like now:


My current thinking is that this is pretty much all I can do with it right now.  I think the next step is to set it aside, start drawing #2 in the series, and come back to it with fresh eyes in the future.  If at that point I still think it holds up, I can start cutting. I may have to buy more wood.

Meanwhile, I let Elyse know that the window was now clear, and the bricks were being worked on, then left.  I wanted to stop by the deli I was planning to go to for lunch before the noon lunch crowd showed up, and I barely did.  There were a lot more people there when I left than when I arrived.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home