Tuesday, October 11, 2022

Drawing Class Again part 3

 Today was the third scheduled meeting of my drawing class, the beginner one.  I put together my materials for the planned class in value drawing with charcoal.  One significant problem, lack of a vehicle.   Last week I planned to go in for a day in the Studio, and cut some of my new blocks, but when I turned the key of my car, a familiar sound, like the world coming to an end.  I've heard that sound before- it means my muffler is no longer functioning.  Turned the engine off immediately and checked the car. The muffler/exhaust pipe was still there, so that wasn't a problem.  Last time this happened, my exhaust pipe broke off from the engine, so I checked that.  


So it wasn't a broken pipe, but a missing pipe.  Literally not there.  And it wasn't resting under the car, so it didn't fall off there.  Nor on the way home from my last time teaching- I would have heard it if I had come home like that.  That part of the pipe may have included the catalytic converter, a valuable and often stolen item, so that was my theory.  Verified that this would be covered by insurance, then called the police. They sent some officers around to investigate, heard me start it and the noise that ensued (so didn't mind when I turned it off again quickly).  They hadn't heard of any other similar cases, but knew that such things did happen, so took the report, gave me a case number, and left me to deal with it.  (a few days later my mother saw the chief at a function, asked him about it, and he said there were at least four in town the same night that mine was probably taken, so I guess I'm trendsetter)  Spent a lot of time on the phone dealing with the various parties to my situation.  With the check engine light coming on, I decided not to drive my car to the repair shop. but have it towed.  Made arrangements with that shop, but they could do nothing until the insurance company inspects it, and that couldn't happen until I made a claim, so I had to take care of all that.  Insurance would cover most of a rental, but there were no cars available for the next several days, so it didn't really matter.  

Stopped by the shop today to remind them that the car was there, and the insurance company planned to come by today, and to do some reconnaissance.  The insurance company (closed yesterday for the holiday) hadn't contacted them yet.  For today's class, I would not have my car, but my mother was willing to lend me hers, so I could get to my class. I had everything I needed at home, and the borrowed car could easily hold everything, so not a problem.

Loaded the car, and left on time.  Got up there, unloaded my borrowed car, went inside, and found a problem- my class was moved to a room up on the second floor.  Not the first time I've had a class moved to another location- happened at my community college a bunch of times, by the ceramics teacher who wanted the room for her students to use in case they felt like coming in, which they would never do.  My new room was across campus, had no sink, no water source (big problems when you teach color and mix paints) and was designed for teaching chemistry.  Today my new room had tables and chairs (that was good), but no sink, paper towels, soap, shades for the windows on this very sunny day, carpeted floors, a still life table- so not really suited for a value drawing with charcoal class, which is what I was prepared for.  But that's where I had to go.  

I was missing a student last week, but had emailed her over the weekend to remind her that there was a class, and what she missed and what she would need for this week.  But she didn't show today either.  



None of this stopped me from holding my class- like I said, I've done this before. I set up the table and props in the darkest part of the room, which wasn't very dark, but at least away from the windows.  I thought my students did reasonably well with this new medium, despite the limitations of the room.  My cell phone rang, the insurance company, looking for the garage.  Told them I was the insurance client making the claim. They were planning to try another number.  Don't have a lot of confidence in them right now.  We may move the class to another room and time next week, to accommodate one of my still attending students.  We are all okay with it, but it may depend on the building.  In the office, they had no idea how the classroom was double booked.  I had an idea, but I am too polite to say.   I packed my stuff, put the room back how I found it, and got out of there.   Drove my borrowed car home.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home