Wednesday, September 07, 2022

Love in Vain part 3

 

The rain has stopped, so I decided to take a trip to the Studio and do more work on my latest block.  Still in the drawing phase, but that has to be done first.  I had brought with me my jazz/blues book/album, sitting right out on my back table.   I dropped off a few things in my space, and was hoping to talk to Elyse about some building stuff, but there was a meeting going on.  I was told they would stop by after.  So I went to work.  The drawing is in progress, and is based on a sketch done months ago, so the idea is all settled.  What I'm working on now is details, and making decisions about details.

I decided to go with a theme of Miles Davis for music today.  I had two home burned albums of his from the 50's, his most influential years. Birth of the Cool was released in 1957 by Capitol, though recorded in bits and pieces over the whole decade before.  Released the same year was my second disc of the day, Round About Midnight, also released in 1957, but just recorded that year, and on Columbia.  I had written about that one back in August, 2019 on this blog, but not the former.  Both are excellent jazz albums, almost all instrumental, with Davis leading the band with his trumpet.  Playing trumpet, he was parts of bands with so many of the saxophone players over the years, and I tend to favor a lot of the sax players in my jazz collection, which includes Charlier Parker, John Coltrane, and Dexter Gordon, but I do like Davis enough to have 3 discs in my portable set.  

As for drawing, much of what I planned to get down  was already done, but there are lots of things to fix.  Some of these I did at home in recent days, the block having come home with me for the holiday weekend, but some got done today.  Since last time, I had made a few changes to the train car, based on photos found on the web, such as undercarriage details, the platform at the car's end, the windows, and a lot with values, all of which combines bits from various photos of different passenger cars from different years, so what I have is probably not accurate to a specific car.  However, I don't think that matters, and anyway, the perspective is fine, and everything has roots in the Illinois Central.   I also spent some time fixing up the two main figures, but I don't think they are ready yet, specifically the shadows on them.  (cast shadows are done, based on myself and a bare bulb fixture in the basement, the kind that requires a pull chain to be pulled to turn on and off)  On another day I will work on that.  There is nothing to copy from, so all this is out of my head.  Details can be seen at the top of this post.

An hour and a half, and two albums later, no one had shown up yet, so I took off and headed home to get some lunch.  My questions and information about the building will have to wait.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home