Tuesday, August 30, 2022

Color Pencil Class #4

 


Today was the last meeting for the color pencil class,  just 4 weeks to fit in before Labor Day, the official end of summer.  We are working on the same project, a full color still life using local colors, for which I found a variety of solid colored objects, plus a very colorful table cloth.  I had all the same objects in my large bag in the car last night, so just the backpack to be loaded today.  It's been decided that I will do a drawing class next (late September), though it still hadn't been added to the website yet.  Despite this, I decided to bring some print related stuff with me today, mostly because some of members of my current class expressed an interest in knowing and maybe taking it, so I packed the most recent catalog of tools, the kind of tools that we use, and a Masereel book, which is always good to have. 

I arrived about an hour ahead, unloaded my car, turned on the AC, as today is yet another hot day.  Rain was predicted for late in the day, but I have my doubts.  Set up the still life, a combination of memory and images from my camera (there's another version of it above), and unlocked the front door.  A little while later I went downstairs to see if Jeanne was in.  She was, and told me that Shay would not be there today, having gotten an email from her earlier.  As for the upcoming drawing class, they still haven't resolved all the computer stuff, and syncing up the website and the registration system has been too big a challenge.  Probably Kaitlyn could handle it, but she's on vacation this week.  Nichole is supposed to be helping with it, but it hasn't happened yet.  She said nothing about assisting with the class, though did say I was welcome to give away water bottles if they were in the fridge, and she hoped to stop by to take some photos.

I went back up to my room, now a bit cooler.  Eventually Rosemarie showed up, but she was the only one.  Well, she got plenty of attention with her color questions, and worked on both the large still life she started  in class last week, and a detail version she did during the week, based on a photo she took. I pointed out that the printed photo was a third hand version of the set up, after her own eyes, after the camera in her phone.  She had to admit that all had a different version of the red in the tablecloth.  As a further example, I showed her the postcard for the Belmar train themed show (for which I did the postcard), and my large bag which had been a banner once upon a time.  What was one color in the postcard was often a very different color on the bag.  She does credit the class with making her think about colors in a very different way than she had before, and says this is a good thing.  So I have done my job with her.

She definitely is interested in taking drawing, to learn more about perspective and things, and not in taking the woodcut, so no one benefited from all the stuff I had brought.   Luckily, that stuff doesn't weight that much.  I stopped by the office to let them know I had put everything away, turned off lights, and locked the front door.  Jeanne was around, so I gave her a class update (she never showed to take photos), and she told me the website thing was up. And then I drove home, no rain in sight.

I checked the building web site in the evening, and the class is listed.  The image is the one we chose, and the description is about right.  But the details are way off.  Not the time we agreed to, and the fee was a bit low for a 6 week class.  So I sent Jeanne an email pointing out these issues.  Not to complain, but to give her this information before anyone signed up and they had to change it later.  After that I started recharging my computer, so I guess I'll get her answer tomorrow.




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home