Tuesday, October 18, 2022

Drawing Class Again part 4

 

Over the weekend I had sent out reminders to all my registered students that we had class on Tuesday, but also our new room and the new time.  One replied, the others didn't, including the student I haven't seen since the first week.  I sent verification of the new situation to a few people at the JSAC (borrowing and updating a distribution list sent to me), and got a reply from my drawing supervisor.  She was very concerned about who my missing student was, and asked me about her, but it's not one of her students in watercolor.  

Today the plan was perspective, which I teach through cracker boxes (orthogonals) and paint cans (ellipses), so I gathered those and put them in my large tote bag.  At the request of one of my students I had moved the class to an hour earlier, so she could get to a doctor appointment she wanted. All parties were okay with this, so it was done.  Left in the late morning, got there around noon,  and brought my small backpack inside.  The room was open. No sink, but it did have shades for the windows, and lots of chairs. Tables I could get in room 3.  I checked in with the office, and everything was still fine, so I went out and got my heavy bag of props.  I updated the sign for the hallway

and then unlocked the door for arriving students.  Since one of my expected students would be leaving early, and she had taken the class before, I decided to let her decide which exercise we would do first, while she was still there.  Didn't see it making a difference which one we did first.  

Meanwhile, the building was very quiet.  My drawing supervisor normally teaches a watercolor class on Tuesdays, but I did not see her around to ask if she had followed up with my missing student.  Later I learned that she may be out sick for while, and had cancelled her class this week.  The above seen mixed media class, the one in the room I am supposed to be in, also didn't happen.  In that case I was told she had to cancel it for a medical procedure, but expected to be back next week.  But I was there, teaching my class.

My students seem to have arrived together, at least at the room, so they found the right place.  The one student said she wanted to do the boxes first, so that's what we did.  Three Cheez-it boxes, and two Triscuit boxes, all on the small square table. A simple assignment- draw the stacks of boxes.  paying attention to the three sides they could see, and to ideas of proportion and perspective.  As usual, the top of each stack was the hardest for them, but all figured it out eventually.  My student who had to leave at that point did so, and I set up the cans for the other one.  Some gallon paint cans, and some smaller paint and ink cans, stacked so she had both below her eye level and above her eye level to deal with, but that is how you get the various ellipses.  Lessons in earlier sessions about negative space proved helpful.  In the end she finished it, was satisfied with what she had learned, and asked if we could keep this earlier time. Since she is the only one coming at this point, I don't see why not.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home