Thursday, October 20, 2022

Walkin' Blues part 8

 


I was in the habit of going up to the Studio on Thursdays, but had to cut that out when my car was lacking a catalytic converter and in the shop.  But this is the first Thursday that my car was back to normal in a few weeks, so I was going to go.  Packed up what I would need, including music, and left around 10:30.  Got up there, dropped off my stuff, stopped by the office to ask something my students had asked me a few days ago, then got back to my space to get some work done.

I had brought my pop/rock collection today, and started with a disc of singles by the Zombies, which covered their original run.  A band that produced a series of highly respected singles, but saddled with a record company that resisted giving them albums, and I think it wore them down.  Those singles are excellent, and the 20 A & B sides make a great set.  Had them in mind because I had seen one of their old videos (first song on the disc) on the web recently.  When that ended, I kept going with the British band idea and chose my disc of Elastica.  I have nothing on the disc itself but the name of the band, and had assumed it was their self titled debut album, but today I found out that I had also included most of the EP that had come out several months earlier, which is how I first learned of the group.  (on the new releases shelf of the station I was at during that time)  Even my friend Doug, who is familiar with the British music scene as much as anyone I know, didn't know why the single didn't come with an LP.  It turned out that one track on the album was the same as the version on the album, and the other 3 tracks were BBC recordings, two of which had similar versions on the album, and one was not found anywhere else that I was aware of.

I had brought the block with me, and decided the next thing to take on was the main character, subject of at least one verse in the original song.  Also the largest character in the image, seen standing with nothing in front of her.  As such, it would take time and care to cut, but I was prepared for that.  Also of concern was that my right index finger was a bit sore the past few days.  Functional, but sore.  Unfortunately, the index finger is a major point in how these gouges are designed to be held, so I hoped this would all work out.  It did.  As the two discs played, I got my biggest figure done.  Decided to stop there, and not go on to any other part of the image today.  Near as I can tell, it turned out fine, but I won't know until I get a lot more of the image done.  What I have so far can be seen above.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home