Sunday, May 06, 2007

Back To The Tower

I was able to get into the Studio for a few hours each yesterday and today. The first day's work included the item shown above, a drawing that combines all the various sketched fragments of that bit of church architecture I mentioned previously, what my mother sometimes calls "the celestial elevator". You can see why this thing fascinated me so much when I was a kid. This drawing can serve as the reference when I'm working on the later larger drawing on the block. Also on Saturday I started working on some of the tower breakdowns in a 9"x12" sketchbook, but it was too small at that scale to show any detail. Today I cut a large piece of cheap paper off a roll so I could start working it out in full size scale. I got as far today as I got yesterday, but this time I could do some crude sketches of the scenes/architecture within. That still leaves a long way to go, but I have a lot to still figure out anyway. The celestial elevator is only one small piece, a tiny fraction of the whole composition. There's so much I want to put into this thing, but it's not all going to fit the way things are going. Now's the time to figure out what stays, and what goes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home