Saturday, May 19, 2007

St Thecla of Iconium part 2


I picked up where I left off yesterday. I sanded my block to get a smooth surface, laid out the image border and put in the date and saint name. Then I set it aside.

Next, I worked up an idea in a sketchbook. In this series I have generally stayed away from showing figures, preferring to show things and locations relating to the story. So how to show a girl in boy's clothes if I don't show the girl? What I decided was to show a girl's bedroom, but with a man's suit laid out on the bed. For the room- a bed, frilly pillows, stuffed animal, bedside phone (vintage Princess model), floral painting- no need to be subtle here, I want the concept clear. I'm considering whether to go with paint or wallpaper on the walls. On the bed, a man's suit, still on its hanger. To me, this says the suit has just come out of the closet and is meant to go on, although I suppose it could mean that the suit has been prepared for a return to the closet. Either way, I think the implication is that it belongs with the room, not something removed by a male visitor. (after all, she is a virgin)

I was generally satisfied with the composition, so I went back to the block. I want to have the image in the same orientation as the first sketch, so I reversed it on the block. The one thing I didn't really work out yet on the block is the suit. My paper sketch was just out of my head, and I wanted to look at the genuine article before I finish the block drawing. I'll do that at home sometime between now and when I go back to the Studio tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home