Saturday, May 12, 2007

An Unusual Favor


This morning I e-mailed the final grades for my two classes at the community college to the school's computer. I may hear from a student or two questioning the grades they received, but otherwise I'm now officially done with the spring semester. That means I should get into the Studio a lot more often over the next few months.

But that doesn't mean I'm not going to see any more students. Today my Studio partner Molly had a few of her community college students in for a visit, a demonstration of printmaking, and a quick walk into Asbury Park to check out some local establishments that have her work on display. She has made the same offer to her whole spring art history class, so we may have more taking her up on it over the summer. No problem- we like visitors.

Once the kids had left, we both settled down to work for a while. Molly was cutting her latest commissioned woodblock tabletop, while I was back working on my tower drawing. I brought with me another large piece of paper and started over. Some of what I got to today is very similar to what I had in the first sketch, but a little more thought out. Some has changed considerably. Still a long way to go, which makes me think I'm going to have to get another smaller, simpler piece going next week to have something ready for the photo shoot.

As I was about to leave Molly asked if I could help her with "an unusual favor". Those are my favorite kind. This one turned out to be having me trace her legs onto an etching plate. She put a copper plate (about 18" long) on the floor of the studio, then sat next to it, draping her bare legs and feet over the length of it. I used a red marker to do the tracing. She was pleased with the results (there's a photo of it up top, on the press bed), which will eventually form part of her contribution to the Process Exposed show at PCNJ. My skill at this is no accident, as it's not the first time someone has asked me to do this. Back in the midwest, fellow grad Kendra had me trace her whole upper body for a piece that was destined for her MFA show.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home