Saturday, January 26, 2008

A History of Art part 68

Today I started the coloring of the tower print. As I stated earlier, the plan is to work with a basic palette of a few key colors in an effort to keep the composition unified, in this case using one similar to Bruegel's tower. Based on my experiments last time, I mixed a big pile of what I call Bruegel Stone Base, a combination of Burgundy Yellow Ochre, Buff Titanium, and Indigo. I used it in various wash strengths in the dungeon, the cityscape, the crucifix, and a few other spots. Tinting it a bit, it also became wooden building blocks, sand, and background hill town, among other things. Then I mixed a medium brown that found its way into several sections, mostly as floorboards or furniture. In a few cases I combined that with washes of black to create more weathered wood, such as the boardwalk in the lower right corner. I decided to call it a night at that point. So far it seems to be working, but I'm not assuming that anything colored today is finished. As the rest of the colors start filling in, I may find it necessary to adjust some of what I did today. Next time I continue with the earth colors and neutrals, and maybe start on the other major group- the blues.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home